The Grand Rex is one of the best-known movie theatres on Paris’s ‘Grands Boulevards’. Its external facade, outsized compared to neighbouring buildings, features large neon signs and an art deco tower.
The theatre’s 2,800 places are the most of any in Europe, and its 300 m2 screen (24.90 m (82 ft) wide and 11.35 m (37 ft) high) is the largest in Paris.
The Grand Rex (or the Rex as it was originally known) was built in 1931 by a wealthy film producer known for bringing Charlie Chaplin to French audiences. His aim was to create the most beautiful movie theatre in Paris, where cinema-goers would feel like they were watching a film in the open air.
The Grand Rex’s main auditorium features a starred ceiling and fairy-tale decorations on both sides of the screen, including water features.
It hosts French premieres of new movies, plus special events and shows.
- Line 8 Bonne-Nouvelle
- Line 9 Bonne-Nouvelle